Home / Articles / Committee hearings on Hockey Canada's involvement in 2018 sexual assault case set for July - The Athletic

Committee hearings on Hockey Canada's involvement in 2018 sexual assault case set for July - The Athletic

Minister of Sport Pascale St-Onge, Hockey Canada and a third-party investigator will be invited to appear before the committee at the next meeting on the issue.

  • Posted on 24th Jun, 2022 00:19 AM
  • 1204 Views
Committee hearings on Hockey Canada's involvement in 2018 sexual assault case set for July - The Athletic Image

The Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage will meet on July 26 and 27 to discuss Hockey Canada's involvement in the alleged sexual assault case from 2018. NDP House Leader Peter Julian called for further investigation into the governing body's actions Thursday.

The allegations were made public in a lawsuit that the national governing body settled last month, in which a young woman alleged that she was sexually assaulted by eight players in a London, Ont., hotel room following a Hockey Canada Foundation event in June 2018. The lawsuit was filed in April in Ontario Superior Court.

Hockey Canada officials testified in front of the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage on Monday regarding the organization's role in the settlement. Hockey Canada was named as a co-defendant in the lawsuit, along with the Canadian Hockey League and the eight John Doe defendants.

Minister of Sport Pascale St-Onge, Hockey Canada and a third-party investigator will be invited to appear before the committee at the next meeting on the issue. Among the documents requested by the committee are the nondisclosure agreement in the settlement (with redactions) and communications from Hockey Canada to teams and players on the topic.

“We must get to the bottom of how Hockey Canada handles sexual assault cases to better understand how this was addressed,” Julian said in a release. “Canadians are shocked to hear about this situation and they want to see action to prevent this from happening again.”

The NDP said that it is "looking for answers on how the (Minister of Sport's) department addressed this serious case and why it took so long to act."

“Was the Minister of Sport informed about this alleged case in 2018? If not, why not? If yes, why didn’t the Minister at the time act on that information?” Julian said. “Parents who have kids in hockey have the right to know why Hockey Canada handled this case in such an irresponsible manner. And they deserve to know what their government is doing concretely for a real culture change in the face of sexual misconduct and assault connected to Hockey Canada and other sports organizations across the country."

On Wednesday, the House of Commons unanimously approved a motion to ask for an independent investigation into whether "this was an isolated event or if there were shortcomings with the way Hockey Canada handles complaints of sexual assault, sexual harassment and other types of misconduct."

"This isn't partisan. This is accountability and a shift of culture," MP Michelle Ferreri told The Athletic when asked about the universal support for the action.

Approval of that motion came hours after the federal government decided to freeze Hockey Canada's funding. St-Onge told TSN that the money will be withheld until Hockey Canada signs on to work with a federal agency that was newly formed to independently review and investigate abuse complaints.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the way Hockey Canada handled the complaints "unacceptable" and said that all options were on the table to find answers.

"Hopefully what the end result will be is this matter will be properly dealt with, but also the culture related to how all of our sports federations approach safe sport changes and we make sure people feel protected and are respected by everybody involved in sports. And that's the goal because sports have to be safe for everybody." MP Anthony Housefather also told The Athletic on Thursday.

Committee hearings on Hockey Canada's involvement in 2018 sexual assault case set for July - The Athletic View Story

Latest 20 Post